Friday, January 28, 2011

Filipina 'Idol' contestant impresses the judges

Another Filipino “American Idol” contestant makes it to Hollywood: 15-year-old Thia Megia.

During her audition in Milwaukee (episode aired in the Philippines last Jan. 27), the young aspirant wowed the Season 10 judges---Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez, and Steven Tyler---with her soulful rendition of Adele’s “Chasing Pavements.”

Jennifer deemed that Thia is “the total package.”

“I love you… You look very comfortable up there,” she added.

Steven, likewise, liked the House Mountain, California native “a lot.”

“I love your voice. I thought it had a lot of character,” said.

Apparently impressed, all the judges gave her a “yes” and a beaming Thia got her “Golden Ticket.”

Before she performed her piece, Thia, a high school student, looked to have been at ease interacting with the three judges.

Randy noticed the rhyme in her name. “Thia Megia, it kinda rhymes… I like that,” he said.

Jennifer declared, “That’s a movie star name,” to which the Aerosmith front man concurred, “It sure is.”

She further engaged the trio, particularly Randy, as she related her desire to audition on the show since Season 1.

“I’ve been watching this show since Season 1, and I can’t believe I’m here right now. I’m actually star-struck to see you guys. I mean, Randy I’ve been seeing you on television before I could even start reading,” said Thia.

When Randy asked if he still looks the same since the pilot season, Thia said, “You look even younger!”

“Even younger! I love this girl! This girl knows what’s going on,” exclaimed the record producer.

In her VTR, Thia said she originally planned to audition in the next season. However, the age reduction for the contestants (from 16 years old to 15) prompted her to give her long-time dream a chance via Season 10.

“I just immediately booked the flight, the hotel and flew straight to Wisconsin. I knew that there [would] be auditions for California but I just couldn’t summon the patience to wait,” Thia recalled.

Thia had previously impressed a different set of judges when she joined “America’s Got Talent” in 2009. Although she got eliminated in the quarterfinals, judges David Hasselhoff, Piers Morgan, and Sharon Osbourne were all praises for her rendition of Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb.” In the same year, Thia also performed at the "David Foster and Friends" show in California which also featured her friend, singing sensation Charice.

In previous “Idol” seasons, a number of Filipinos had made it past Hollywood week, eventually becoming finalists on the show. These were Jasmine Trias (Top 3) and Camile Velasco (Top 9) from Season 3 and Ramiele Malubay (also Top 9) from Season 7. (report from Rowena Joy Sanchez, Manila Bulletin)